As a constitutionally elected Sheriff, I recognize and accept that I am given a special trust and confidence by the citizens and employees whom I have been elected to serve, represent and manage. This trust and confidence is my bond to ensure that I shall behave and act according to the highest personal and professional standards. In furtherance of this pledge, I will abide by the following Code of Ethics.
- I SHALL ENSURE that I and my employees, in the performance of our duties, will enforce and administer the law according to the standards of the U.S. Constitution and applicable State Constitutions and statutes so that equal protection of the law is guaranteed to everyone. To that end I shall not permit personal opinions, party affiliations, or consideration of the status of others to alter or lessen this standard of treatment of others.
- I SHALL ESTABLISH, PROMULGATE AND ENFORCE a set of standards of behavior of my employees which will govern the overall management and operation of the law enforcement functions, court related activities, and corrections operations of my agency.
- I SHALL NOT TOLERATE NOR CONDONE brutal or inhumane treatment of others by my employees nor shall I permit or condone inhumane or brutal treatment of inmates in my care and custody.
- I STRICTLY ADHERE to standards of fairness and integrity in the conduct of campaigns for election and I shall conform to all applicable statutory standards of election financing and reporting so that the Office of the Sheriff is not harmed by the actions of myself or others.
- I SHALL ROUTINELY CONDUCT or have conducted an internal and external audit of the public funds entrusted to my care and publish this information so that citizens can be informed about my stewardship of these funds.
- I SHALL FOLLOW the accepted principles of efficient and effective administration and management as the principle criteria for my judgements and decisions in the allocation of resources and services in law enforcement, court related and corrections functions of my Office.
- I SHALL HIRE AND PROMOTE only those employees or others who are the very best candidates for a position according to accepted standards of objectivity and merit. I shall not permit other factors to influence hiring or promotion practices.
- I SHALL ENSURE that all employees are granted and receive relevant training supervision in the performance of their duties so that competent and excellent service is provided by the Office of the Sheriff.
- I SHALL ENSURE that during my tenure as Sheriff, I shall not use the Office of Sheriff for private gain.
- I ACCEPT AND WILL ADHERE TO THIS CODE OF ETHICS. In so doing, I also accept responsibility for encouraging others in my profession to abide by this Code.
Code Of Ethics Of The Position Of Deputy Sheriff
As a deputy sheriff, I recognize that I am given a special trust and confidence by the sheriff and the public that I serve. This trust and confidence is my bond to ensure that I shall behave and act according to the highest professional principles. In furtherance of this pledge, I will abide by the following Code of Ethics:
- I shall ensure that in the performance of my duties I will enforce and administer the law according to the principles of the United States Constitution and applicable laws of our state so that equal protection of the law and due process are guaranteed to everyone. To that end, I shall not permit personal opinions, biases, prejudices, party affiliations, or consideration of the status of others to alter or lessen these principles.
- I shall demonstrate standards of behavior consistent with the responsibilities, duties, obligations and functions of a deputy sheriff.
- I shall not engage in nor condone brutal, cruel, or inhumane treatment of others or of inmates in my care and custody.
- I shall adhere, at all times, to the standards and principles of honesty and integrity, and I shall keep my private life unsullied as an example to all.
- I shall ensure that there is proper use and accountability of property and funds entrusted to my care.
- I shall practice sound judgments and decisions in fulfilling the assigned responsibilities, duties, and functions of my position as deputy sheriff.
- I shall endeavor to maintain those standards of objectivity and merit for which I was hired to the best of my ability.
- I shall endeavor to perform my duties in a competent and excellent manner according to the standards given to me in my training and supervision.
- I shall ensure that during my tenure, I shall not use the position of deputy sheriff for personal gain or self-aggrandizement, and that I will conduct myself in the position of deputy sheriff according to the best of my skill and power.
- I accept and will adhere to this Code of Ethics. In so doing, I also accept responsibility for encouraging others in my profession to abide by this Code.